Nautilus Insurance Group, Scottsdale, AZ is currently seeking talented, experienced Senior Underwriters. The Senior Underwriter provides support to the underwriting process, making decisions within authority levels, reviewing applications and processing accounts.
Nautilus Insurance Group is an "A+ XV" (Superior) rated member of the W.R. Berkley Corp., a Fortune 500 company. We specialize in providing excess and surplus lines commercial property and casualty insurance coverage.
Duties/Responsibilities of a Senior Underwriter include, but are not limited to:
· Assessing new and renewal accounts to determine acceptability based upon guidelines and authority granted; reviewing new and renewal accounts to verify issuance is compliant, addressing discrepancies, and entering information into systems.
· Establishing types and limits of coverage to be provided.
· Creating, analyzing and interpreting data from various systems and underwriting resources.
· Monitoring production/profitability and maintaining agency relationships.
· Collaborating with underwriting team and/or other departments on underwriting philosophy. Promoting consistency amongst underwriting teams by contributing knowledge and soliciting feedback relative to underwriting philosophy and company goals.
· Effectively communicating information to customers to ensure our standards of excellence are maintained.
· Consulting with agency staff to obtain necessary information on existing accounts.
· Maintaining familiarity with state laws and filing requirements to properly transact business within a state.
· Consulting with underwriting team to determine if reinsurance is needed, and negotiates terms with designated reinsurer companies.
· Identifying and recommending changes to policy verbiage when standard text is not appropriate.
· Monitoring the amount of insurance in force on a single risk or group of closely related risks; evaluating possibility of catastrophe losses and taking necessary action.
· Occasionally assisting with the development of special programs, underwriting procedures, and educational seminars.
· Composing reports and business correspondence such as travel summaries, agendas, and meeting minutes.
· Coordinating internal and/or external visits including but not limited to scheduling meetings, confirming staff availability, and arranging meals/entertainment.
· Providing guidance and support to less experienced team members within the department.
· A minimum of five (5) years’ experience as an Underwriter is required.
· Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
· Excess and Surplus lines background is beneficial.
· AIS, ASLI, AU, and CPCU designations or completion of other insurance related classes is preferred.
· Basic knowledge of computer programs in a Windows environment, including Word, Excel and email.
· Proven ability to learn and utilize various underwriting applications to determine accurate classifications and calculate rates and premium charges using approved rating methods.
Nautilus believes their employees are their greatest asset and have made significant contributions to consistent underwriting results. We foster an environment of accountability, teamwork and integrity. Our motivated employees have built an impeccable reputation for our firm serving the Excess and Surplus Lines industry. Nautilus Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical insurance, dental, life/AD&D, both short- and long-term disability insurance and a great 401(k)/Profit Sharing plan.
Qualified candidates should submit their resumes along with salary requirements, directly to nautilusHR@nautilus-ins.com
Nautilus is an Equal Opportunity Employer